Saturday, August 6, 2011

Writing advice from Ronald Dahl or Writing process advice from Hemingway.

This came in my mail from Aston University where I do my PhD and I thought I should share it with all of you. I'm really interested to hear your opinion about it.
So, here it goes:

Good advice from Ronald Dahl:

« I never come back to a blank page; I always finish about halfway through. Hemingway taught me the finest trick : “When you are going good, stop writing.” You don’t go on writing and writing until you come to the end of it, because when you do, then you say, well, where am I going to go next? You make yourself stop and you walk away. And you can’t wait to get back because you know what you want to say next. »

The best way is always to stop when you are going good and when you know what will happen next. If you do that every day … you will never be stuck. Always stop while you are going good and don’t think about it or worry about it until you start to write the next day. That way your subconscious will work on it all the time. But if you think about it consciously or worry about it you will kill it and your brain will be tired before you start.

Adam Turner

Director

English Writing Lab

Hanyang University

2 comments:

  1. Great post!

    I'm inspired to get to work =)

    PS: Ronald Dahl is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Raymund for stopping by.
    I'm really glad that my post has inspired you.
    All the credit goes to Ronald Dahl though...
    Keep that inspiration alive!

    ReplyDelete

I love to be distracted by your comments! So feel free to post your thoughts here.